Last update: January 2017
Praluent pens come pre-filled with either 75mg or 150mg strengths of Praluent. The colour of the button and the label will tell you what strength of Praluent is contained within the pen.
The medicine is injected under your skin and can be given by yourself or someone else (for example, a caregiver). 98% of patients agreed the Praluent pen was easy to use1. To learn how to inject Praluent, please click here.
How do I store my Praluent pen?
- Store out of the sight and reach of children.
- Do not use after the use-by date which is stated on the label and carton after 'EXP'. The use-by date refers to the last day of the stated month.
- Store in a refrigerator (2°C to 8°C).
- Do not freeze.
- Once removed from the refrigerator, use within 30 days.
- Do not expose the pen to temperatures above 25°C for any period of time.
- Keep the pen in the outer carton in order to protect from light.
- Do not use the medicine if it looks discoloured or cloudy, or if it contains visible flakes or particles.
How do I throw away my used Praluent pens?
- Ask your doctor, pharmacist or nurse for a puncture-resistant container.
- After use, put the pen into the container.
- Always keep the container out of the sight and reach of children.
- Ask your doctor, pharmacist or nurse how to throw away the container.
- Do not recycle the container.
- Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
- Roth EM, et al. Patient and Physician Perspectives on Mode of Administration of the PCSK9 Monoclonal Antibody Alirocumab, an Injectable Medication to Lower LDL-C Levels: Clin Ther 2015